--- Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit : >

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] emmanuel ALLAUD
> wrote:
>
> > The problem with yielding is that you can have
> > interactivity problem if the computer is loaded
> > enough.
>
>    If you don't yield you have an interactivity
> problem.
> What good is keeping your time slices if all you're
> doing
> during them is busy waiting?

Sure ;-)

> >  At least that's what I have understood will
> > happen with 2.6 linux kernels. The problem is to
> be
> > able to tell the kernel : OK I know I have to wait
> so
> > I give the CPU back, but I am an interactive
> process
> > and I don't want my CPU back in 1 hour ;-) Perhaps
> > there should be a "give my remaining slice time to
> > someone else and then give me back the CPU"
> scheduler
> > hint?
>
>    I'm not sure the 2.6 behavior sounds
> significantly worse
> than the 2.4 behavior.  I really don't understand
> what the
> big deal is.  I don't want the rest of my slice!  I
> have nothing
> to do with it except busy wait.  Sure it would nice
> Linux
> kernel didn't suck in this way, and I consider the
> sched_yield()
> change a regression and a bug, but we make due with
> what we've
> got and it's better than busy waiting.

I totally agree. My point here is : how will yielding
will compare with another technic (yet to be found) in
terms of interactivity? You don't want to have to wait
too long after yielding because other processes are
crunching numbers or whatever. Actually I think the
kernel guys should be able to tell the good way to
achieve that. I know the scheduler is now smarter
about interactivity (it will try to prioritize
processes that are more interactive-like, so a good
point would be to see if yielding will give us enough
"interactive credit" so that we won't wait too long
before reacquiring CPU).
I amm not saying that yielding is bad, but just that
now that the question is raised let's see if there is
a better way to do it.
BTW should I bring the question in kernel ML?
Bye
Manu