--- Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit : >
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] emmanuel ALLAUD
> wrote:
>
> > This is perhaps a dumb idea, but could the futexes
> > help here? I don't know if they have equivalent on
> > other OSes than Linux.
> > Bye
> > Manu
>
>    I don't see how they help.  The problem is that
> the X-server
> is in a situation where it has to wait for something
> to complete
> before it can continue, and it knows that it will
> take a long time
> before that something will complete.   All it can do
> now is burn the
> CPU during that time.
>
>    I'm assuming futexes are some interprocess mutex
> mechanism?
> If so, I don't see how this helps.

Yes it is. Actually I am not familiar with them
either, but if you had a way to be able to wake up
your waiting process ASAP when eg DMA is finished,
instead of waiting that the OS scheduler gives you the
CPU back (which can be very long), that would be good.
Problem is that you must in the first place be able to
have a way (here interrupt I guess) that tells you
that the work is finished, which means something in
kernel (in case of DMA do you have an interrupt driven
way to know if it's completed?).
I think I raise more questions than I answer, sorry.
Bye
Manu