The first part of the work I'm doing to improve the XFree86 configuration
experience for users is now available.  Some details about it, and a link
to the source patch can be found at <http://www.x-oz.com/autoconfig.html>.

The goal of this first stage is to make it possible to start the XFree86
server in a useful and usable form for most users without any prior user
intervention.  In particular, without first creating an XF86Config file.

I'm planning to commit this before the next regular snapshot.  The
testing so far has been limited to the hardware platforms I have access
to.  Feedback is welcome.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com