Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > If people (both other developers and end users) who _require_
> > the VideoRAM option in order for the proper amount of video
> > memory to be useable with their card, could send me privately
> > their:  "lspci -vvn" or alternatively "scanpci" output (if lspci
> > isn't available to them), that would help me assess how feasible
> > this would be to do.
>
> The Millennium II cannot be probed; MGACountRam() claims it is a
> hardware bug. As far as I know this function correctly detects the
> cases it can't handle, and I don't have an accessible card to provide
> lspci output.
>
> > My end-goal here, is to determine which hardware truely requires
> > the VideoRAM option, and limit the usage of that option in our
> > own XFree86 packages to those specific drivers and cards to limit
> > the amount of bogus incoming bug reports and end user problems
> > created by unnecessary overconfiguration.  I might also add
> > another option to re-enable VideoRAM override if people see cases
> > where autodetection does work, but want to override it anyway,
> > such as a global "AllowVideoRAMOverride" setting.  ie: user has
> > card with bad videoram, but by limiting videoram to a lower
> > amount they can disable the bad area of memory.
>
> Would it be good enough to make the probed value override any
> larger amount specified by the user ?
> I'm not sure whether breaking the convention that user config
> overrides probed values is a good idea or not here.

Well, it seems that this is a case of trying to fix the problem in the
wrong place.

Mike admits that some config tools make it entirely to easy to change
the videoram setting, and then proposes that it be worked around by
changing a fairly long standing methodology in the video drivers.
Possibly adding a second option to override it.  I vote for working on
fixing the config tools instead.

--
Kevin