Hi,

Felipe and I are doing some research on interactivity on XFree86 when running
with the Linux kernel 2.6.
There was an interesting thread on the Linux Kernel Mailing List, where it was
pointed [1] an interesting solution to adopt, suggested by Haoqiang Zheng:

"I have a kernel based solution to this question. The basic idea is: keep the
processes blocked by X server in the runqueue. If a certain process (P) of
this kind is scheduled, the kernel switch to the X server instead. If the X
server get scheduled in this way, it can handle the X requests from this very
process (P)."

By reading this message, it looks like the X scheduler really gives the
processor to processes, but from what I understood by reading "Efficiently
Scheduling X Clients" [2], written by Keith Packard, the XFree86's scheduler
is used only to choose which process will have it's X requests processed.

Can someone point me to a place where it's explained what the X scheduler does
with the process that got scheduled?

Thanks in advance,
Lucas

[1]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=oq3a.6x8.3%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=12