On Thursday 09 October 2003 15:31, Lucas Correia Villa Real wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Felipe and I are doing some research on interactivity on XFree86 when
> running with the Linux kernel 2.6.
> There was an interesting thread on the Linux Kernel Mailing List, where it
> was pointed [1] an interesting solution to adopt, suggested by Haoqiang
> Zheng:
>
> "I have a kernel based solution to this question. The basic idea is: keep
> the processes blocked by X server in the runqueue. If a certain process (P)
> of this kind is scheduled, the kernel switch to the X server instead. If
> the X server get scheduled in this way, it can handle the X requests from
> this very process (P)."
>
> By reading this message, it looks like the X scheduler really gives the
> processor to processes, but from what I understood by reading "Efficiently

Sorry, I have just noticed the "handle the X requests" sentence on Haoqiang's
suggestion.

Anyway, wouldn't such solution (kernel based) avoid the computation of things
not related to X requests? That is, since the X scheduler only treats X
requests, if the X server is going to be scheduled instead of the process (P)
then non-X requests will not be processed, and process (P) will "hang",
right? Or am I wrong?

Does anybody wants to share their thoughts about this?

Lucas