[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 > What is the status of the problem of being unable to restore the VGA screen using
 > the SiliconMotion drivers?
 >
 > Bugzilla 124 & 702 have reported the problem. Some comments indicate there is a
 > working patch, while some comments (and my experience) indicate that the problem
 > still exits, even using the latest 4.3.99.x XFree86. It's not clear if anyone is
 > actively working on the problem.
 >
 > I would add that in my case, using a Panasonic CF-28 ToughBook (laptop), the
 > problem exists using Solaris 8 and 4.3.99.x XFree86, but does NOT exist using
 > RedHat Linux with 4.2 XFree86 on the same machine. Also, as I reported in Bugzilla
 > 702, using Solaris 8 and 4.0.2 XFree86 Porting Kit, I did not have the problem
 > either.

I would have fixed this problem long ago if I could reproduce it on
Linux. I have dug out my Lynx3D evaluation board just recently to
see if I can reproduce this problem however I don't see it.
It is fairly hard to fix a problem that I don't see.
If you could describe the problem a little closer one may get an idea:
- Dose the monitor sync at all when you go back to text mode?
- Is this a video mode restoration problem? (Do you get the same
  frequencies on the text console as you had before you started X?)
- Are you using a 'real' text mode (or is this something like a
  framebuffer mode under Linux)?
- Is it a font loading problem (under linux you can load a new font
  by doing setfont ...  to test this)?
- Is it a pallette problem (ie that you get black on black)?
  Under linux the VGAlib had some tools to save/restore the VGA palette.

 > I would appreciate feedback on any planned efforts on this problem. If any XFree86
 > Developer in the LA area needs to look at my machine, I may be able to accommodate
 > them to get this problem solved.

I don't know if there is any XFree86 Developer in the LA area.
In fact there may by fewer XFree86 Developer around the world
than you expect. It seems to be a popular misconception that
this project has hundreds of active developers.

Egbert.