On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Egbert Eich wrote:

>> I would appreciate feedback on any planned efforts on this
>>problem. If any XFree86 Developer in the LA area needs to look
>>at my machine, I may be able to accommodate them to get this
>>problem solved.
>
>I don't know if there is any XFree86 Developer in the LA area.
>In fact there may by fewer XFree86 Developer around the world
>than you expect. It seems to be a popular misconception that
>this project has hundreds of active developers.

Another popular misconception that people have is that the
developers that are actually working on the code have endless
hours to volunteer, and each have a warehouse containing one of
every piece of video hardware ever made including one of every
laptop, as well as complete technical specification of all of
that hardware, and that fixing bugs even in _ancient_ hardware is
a high priority for them.  ;o)

It's kindof funny...  Once in a while I get a rude response on a
bug report from someone along the lines of "Um.. Is *ANYONE*
looking at this??? Is there any MOVEMENT on this??  *WHAT* do I
need to do to get this problem fixed IMMEDIATELY??????"

Of course I rarely respond, but the answer I'm thinking in my
mind - the true answer, is "You need to go backwards in time, and
remove your last comment from the bug report so that when time
moves forward again, I have never seen it.  Then you need to send
me $10000."   ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris