Matthias Scheler wrote (in a message from Friday 24)
 >      Hello,
 >
 > even after the recent changes to XFree86-current "libGLw", "libXau" and
 > "libXdmcp" are still not built shared. I've got a report that this
 > causes problem with certain 3rd party applications which try to build
 > shared objects using these libraries.
 >
 > So may I ask what is the reason that these libraries are not built shared?

libGLw has some comments attached, explaining that it would depend on
libXm (Motif) if built shared. It seemed true to me last time I
checked.
So we could build a shared version of it only on systems with weak
symbols, by providing a weak definition of the needed libXm symbols.

The same thing holds for libXdmcp. If HasXdmAuth is defined, libXdmcp
provides some additional symbols. Weak definitions of those should be
provided if building a shared lib.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to test an implementation of weak
symbols in those 2 libs in all possible cases. Help is welcome.

I don't have good reasons for libXau, except the one that David
already mentionned (linking the server statically against it).

Out of curiosity, what applications are you referring to ?

                                        Matthieu