I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for asking such a question, but I
found nothing so far on the web and so I hope to get some answers at the core
of X. If this is not the correct forum I would really appreciate it if you
could point me to where I can ask this question.

I'm developing an application which needs to filter all mouse events even
when it's window is not active. So I tried to grab the pointer and redirect it
to my app. This works, but the problem I have is that of course X doesn't
work as long as my app is active because it gets all events and the other apps
none. I was looking into the Xlib reference manuals if there is some way to
forward or return the XEvent to X again so it can be processed the normal way.
In Windows I do this with a hook function which allows me to specify that an
event is either passed on, or will be discarded after my hookfunction
returns. I wonder if there is a similar mechanism for X. I was looking into GDK, as
this would be my prefered way of doing it, but I would settle for a Xlib
solution as well if there is no other way.
So what I need is either a way to simply filter events and block them on
request (prefered) or grab all the input and forward it to the original owner if
I'm not interested in it.

Can this be done with X and/or GDK/GTK? If I know how to do it in X I could
probably figure out how to do it in GDK/GTK as well, but I've been searching
the web for several days now and I couldn't find anything helpfull. There
seem to be many workarounds for similar problems but none that works for me,
though.

Thanks for your help.