Hi,

After attempting to build XFree86 on my AMD Au1100 development board I was able to get a clean build up to the point of the final linkage. I found that there is not enough memory available to link successfully on the development board.

So, I'm working on getting cross-compiling working correctly again. Host system is SuSE 8.2 and I'm using the Timesys mips-el toolchain.

I've followed most of the information in the Cygwin notes on Cross Compiling, filtering out the things that appear to be Cygwin specific. It is almost working, but I'm encountering a problem when the cc command attempts to invoke ld to link.

Everything appears to be working fine, the proper compiler is being invoked, include and lib paths up to this point all are pointed into my mips directories as would be expected. But when ld gets invoked instead of the cross binary ld I'm getting my suse i486 version executed and it also appears that the suse i486 gcc-lib path is also being used.

I have cross.def set up with all include, libs, tools, etc., pointing to my mips cross-compile directories and tools. I've created sym links for the cross-compile tools in the cross-compile bin directory as directed in the Cygwin notes.

I'm doing make World CROSSCOMPILEDIR="path to my cross compile bin dir"

Looking at the generated xmakefile everything looks ok, as the path / tool references are there. But I must be missing something since it is choking by running the wrong 'ld' executable and also referencing the wrong library path for gcc-lib.

Can someone suggest where I might look for an answer to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Burt