Short answer:
same thing, still superslow.

Long answer:
That is indeed what I tried... after re-reading my initial post I realised I didn't specify which X terminal was I using.

The numbers are pretty much the same regardless of the terminal I use although the system seems slightly more responsive when I use xterm (but that can just be because it opens in a smaller window...).

Let me reiterate that what I see in top is the cpu utilization when the system is not too loaded and the page is actually redrawn. The main actor is X anyway...

I have tried having no background (I am using all default values, no custom fancy backgrounds just the one that comes with the standard Red Hat 9 installation): same result.

If I open mozilla and drag windows over it then things get horribly slow.

From now on I will always use 2 xterm sessions and an empty background.

Could it be the window manager (what am I talking about? I'm confused by my own words...) to slow down things?

If I install Fedora would that be the same you think? I want to install Fedora at some point to test and see if I can upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora without problems (I have another system which I _must_ keep in working order and want to test the procedure before making at risk this one).

Thanks, Salvio