Hi Marc,

thanks for your help.

I have attached the latest config file and log.

I was incorrect in stating #1: I was testing the system disabling
acceleration (option "accel" "no") to see if I could notice any
difference.

The attached log is the one corresponding to the attached config.

The video redraw speed is still very slow.

I can tell no difference when starting the system using "accel" "no"
or commenting that out...

Also, as I said in my initial posting, I notice a very similar behaviour
on another Laptop of mine (Dell Inspiron 5100, ATI Radeon 7500)
with the same OS installed (dual boot this time, I can do things using
windows too if that helps...) - still I see high CPU activity with similar
patter as it happens on the Latitude.

Can this be a Red Hat 9 problem? Could this be a problem in Gnome?
I have found several posts similar to mine searching the internet (from
the far past to present days) and none of them has been actually
answered.

Let me know if there are other things I can try.

Thanks, Salvio