you can either try building S3/VIA's code drop
(http://www.linux.org.uk/~alan/S3.zip) with xfree86 4.2.0 or if you
want to use a newer version of xfree86, you can try the savage-2-0-0
branch in DRI cvs
(http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Download).  Felix and I
are working on the DRI support.  FWIW, the DRI now works on
prosavage/twister and savage4 cores for the most part.  cleaning it up
and adding support for older chipsets is the next order of business.
At some point I will also try and get xvmc working although right now I
haven't really tested it.

Alex