On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:08:10PM -0800, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > - Is only the G550 capable of swapping CRTC<->DAC mapping or can the
> >   G400 or G450 do it too?
>
> Not sure.  I think the g450 and g550 are about the same expect for the
> 3D engine and support for DVI.  I suspect the g450 can do it, I don't
> know about the g400.

It looks like G400 is a static mapping (CRTC2->DAC2) but it appears some
strange things can be done with the G450/G550 i.e. to display
backend-scaler output on the second head.  Also, the HAL seems to
support TV cables plugged into the first head and DVI into the second,
which as far as I know would imply a CRTC swap; afaik CRTC1 can only
output DVI/analog and CRTC2 can only output TV or analog. (is this
right??)

> > - G450/G550 tv-out works without the HAL? (I think this is easier,
> > since
> >   maven is integrated on these chips...)
>
> tv-out is not supported at all on g450/550, neither with HAL nor
> without.

Okay, this is also something that matroxfb can do, so I suspect it will
be related to shoving some registers at maven to get it working.

> > - what about the DVI addons for the G200 and single head G400?
> >   Of course, I've never actually seen one of these.
>
> I'm not sure. the add on cards might have their own tmds chip on them
> since I don't think the g200 or 400 or even 450 had a built in tmds
> controller.  I could be wrong though.  I've never seen one either.

Looks like the DVI addon on G400 uses CRTC2 so it won't work at the same
time with TV output.  Still no idea about the G200.

I noticed Matrox has a "single head to dual head" G450 upgrade that
involves a cable and entering a registration key into windows.  Hardware
crippled intentionally by software?  Bah...

--
Ryan Underwood, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>