On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> >Subject: Re: libXinerama
> >
> >  It ships with XFree86 and RH should have installed it in
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/
>
> My guess, is that he has a binary application he's downloaded,
> which was compiled on Gentoo or some other Linux distribution
> which ships all XFree86 libraries shared by default, and is
> trying to run it on a Red Hat system, which ships libraries the
> way XFree86 supplies them by default, which is no shared
> libXinerama, and having an application failure.

As I remember, we ship with only a static libXinerama becuase we are
waiting for some agreement from the standards people (X.org ?) so that
we can have a stable, standard interface to the library.

How is this progressing ?

Until there is a standard we can't assume that Xinerama libraries are
interchangable between XFree86, Metro-X, Xi, fd.o, or any other
vendor's X libraries.

--
Andrew C Aitchison