>   I didn't remove anything.  There was never any support for
>componentAlpha.  I just made XAA aware that it didn't support
>it.

You removed the ability for a driver to support accelerated component
alpha on a XFree 4.4.0 binary. If this is now the most common case
then why wouldn't a driver want the opportunity to support that? Seems
like the driver should be required to punt that rather than Xaa punting
for them.

Looking at the XAADoComposite function, it isn't very large so a
driver could just hook at that level and pull a copy of that function
into the driver minus the component alpha check and be able to support
accelerated component alpha. There also seems to be a check that
punts anything with a transform which also eliminates a large number
of useful RENDER cases. (Do all stretches have a transform?)
Seems like a driver that wanted to support RENDER well would have
to hook at the Composite level currently so it isn't really a big
deal that component alpha doesn't get passed through to the driver.

There still remains the issue of why would the newer font libs
use component alpha when that removes all opportunity for
acceleration. Is there a way for the libs to determine that
component alpha is an unaccelerated path?

-Matt