Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Lee Olsen wrote:

I'm building 4.4 on one linux redhat 7.3 i686 box and installing on a much
slower i486. Make World and make install on the local i686 box complete
successfully, but make install on the 486 does not. Make install is run
as root
on the 486, which maps to nobody on the nfs mounted build tree. Make
install seems to replace a number of symbolic links in the build tree, which
it should not do. Make -i allows the installation to complete, but hides
any real problems that might arise.
A snippet from install.log:
installing in lib/font...
make[3]: Entering directory `/work/src/redhat/SOURCES/X440/xc/lib/font'
making all in lib/font/bitmap...
make[4]: Entering directory
`/work/src/redhat/SOURCES/X440/xc/lib/font/bitmap'
making all in lib/font/bitmap/module...
make[5]: Entering directory
`/work/src/redhat/SOURCES/X440/xc/lib/font/bitmap/module'
rm -f ../../../../exports/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
rm: cannot unlink `../../../../exports/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a':
Permission denied
make[5]: *** [all] Error 1

The interesting part is installing in lib/font becomes making all in
it's subdirectories,
instead of just installing. Checking the installation log on the server,
the same links
are rebuilt at the same spot, but root has the ability to do the
replacements.

I can't compare with 4.3, but 4.2.0 does the same thing, so this is
clearly not new
(or critical).

Your NFS client and NFS server have a different notion of what time it is.
Fix that and you'll be fine.

Um, no. As I said before, the same link replacements happen on local build trees
during a make install. The difference being root has write access on local drives
and you don't get any errors.
My nfs clients use rdate to synchronize their their notions of time with my server
during the boot process, as I've stepped in that hole before.

Enjoy
Lee