On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:32:55AM -0800, Lee Olsen wrote:
>David Dawes wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:55:21PM -0800, Lee Olsen wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all;
>>>
>>>I now have a handle on what is going on and why, and some proposed
>>>chasnges to fix it.
>>>Here's a simplification of the install dependency chain from
>>>xc/lib/font/Makefile:
>>>
>>>install:: lib$(LIBNAME).a
>>>
>>>lib$(LIBNAME).a : $(SUBDIRS)
>>>
>>>$(SUBDIRS) : FRC
>>>       @echo "making all in $(CURRENT_DIR)/[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
>>>       @$(MAKE) -C $@ $(MFLAGS) $(PARALLELMFLAGS)
>>>CDEBUGFLAGS="$(CDEBUGFLAGS)" LDSTRIPFLAGS="$(LDSTRIPFLAGS)" all
>>>
>>>FRC :
>>>
>>>Since FRC never exists, it gets remade, forcing $(SUBDIRS) to be remade,
>>>echoing
>>>"making all in ..." and doing just that. To stop the rebuilding during
>>>an install, the
>>>dependency chains must be separated. Removing all dependencies on
>>>install:: targets
>>>does exactly that.
>>>

>>What is the rebuilding in $(SUBDIRS) causing to get rebuilt?  I see get
>>rebuilt is the symlinks to xc/exports for the font modules.  That can
>>be fixed by moving where the link creation is done, so that it isn't a
>>separate all:: target of its own.  (I'm testing a patch that does this
>>now.)
>>

>On a fat client, one that has compilers and development headers and
>libraries,
>it's the link creations for libraries (100+) and drivers (30+) and the
>build.new stuff (1).

I committed some changes last night that should deal with these.

>On a thin client, one without development tools, it's `Cannot find a rule to
>build /usr/include/stdio.h' and similar failures during the dependency
>checks.
>The only way I see to stop these is for `make install' to not do
>dependency checks.
>If I'm blind and there are other choices, that's ok too.

OK, for these external dependencies there probably isn't any other
option.  If nobody else has any input to add on this, we can go ahead
with that change.

>The links get rebuild in an `all' step after the target they point to is
>created, so
>I didn't consider that to be the problem. Only replacing them if they change
>might be nice.

I've changed most of them to be created as part of the target they point
to.  Some were already done that way.

David