David Dawes writes:

 > Could it be done by simply looking for a string in the BIOS image?

Probably.

 > In general, relying on the result of Probe() to select the correct
 > driver is flawed though.  There are many cases where Probe() can
 > succeed but PreInit() will fail.  The latest automatic configuration
 > code I have handles this and should fall back to the vga driver for
 > a non-VESA vga card.  We are going to want to rework some of these
 > things to better handle automatic and dynamic (re)configuration.

Right. However vga doesn't seem to be the most generic fallback solution.

Whatever the vga driver can do could be done using the ancient de facto
standardized vga BIOS modes - those modes that existed before every vendor
started to do his own thing (called SVGA) and long before VESA appeared
on the scene to try to sort out the mess.
This could be handled within the vesa driver itself.
This however addresses a marginal market today as not too much of this
vintage HW seems to be around any more. Also I'd expect that one who
does attempt to use a recent version of X (and probably also a recent
version of the other components) will run into other obstacles.
In this respect the sligtly more complicated configuration may be a
lesser problem there.

Egbert.