On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Andrea Merello, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm the author of the little utility named i855crt.
> It's basically a little 'userspace sub-driver' that works in cooperation with
> X (and eventually the fb driver) to enable CRT out on Intel 855 laptop cards.
> It includes also two little patches for X to enable hw cursor on the CRT and
> to let the user choose to have xvideo on crt or LCD .
> I'm interested in evaluating and discussing the possibility to have some sort
> of integration with the X driver. Some people also asked me about it.
> The driver can be found on sourceforge named i855crt.

> It's released under GPL, i have no idea of what differ than X licence, since
> i'm not experienced with legal stuff.

The practical difference is that code under the GPL can't be put into
the main XFree86 distribution (although that may not be legally true).

The point is that if your program is under the GPL, I can't sell (or give
away) a binary version of it if I'm not going to give away a copy of the
source with it. The XFree86 licence says I can do exactly that.

Thus if you want i855crt to ship with XFree86, it would simplify things
if you made i855crt available under the XFree86 licence (as well as the
GPL).

(I don't have an i855, and don't know whether anyone would be prepared to
add it to the XFree86 distribution, so I can't say whether this would be
worth your effort).

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Cambridge, UK