On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 12:10:35AM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
> >I'll be putting up a first draft of the 4.5.0 docs soon, and submissions for
> >release notes content are welcome.
>
> I've put up two sets.  One is built for the current snapshot and the other
> for 4.5.0:
>
>    http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.4.99.x/
>    http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/pre-4.5/
>
> Updates are welcome.

These changes correspond to xterm patches #185 through #199.

Improved behavior

     + change resource settings for color4 and color12, add some
       discussion in XTerm-col.ad

     + modify the criteria for disowning primary selection.  Previously,
       this happened anytime the cursor was moved before the end of the
       selection.  That would ensure that any insert/delete of char or
       line, as well as scrolling, would disown the selection.  The new
       criteria change this to checking if the operations would modify
       the data which is highlighted.

     + change default translations so a BtnDown which is not recognized
       is simply ignored rather than emitting a bell.  That makes it
       less obtrusive when the user tries to use a mouse which provides
       more capabilities than the X mouse driver supports, e.g., one
       with a horizontal scroll wheel.

     + modify to allow turning UTF-8 mode via escape sequence even if
       -wc option was not given at startup.

     + add menu items and corresponding actions for switching on/off the
       UTF-8 mode and Xft (TrueType) support.

     + modify FreeType support to allow resizing the font, in the same
       ways the window can be resized if fixed fonts are used.  The
       relative font sizes are derived from the fixed font sizes.

     + implement blinking text, using the timer for blinking cursor.

     + add translation to ASCII of commonly-used characters that groff
       translates to Unicode, when the font in use does not provide the
       corresponding glyphs.

     + modify constraints in form used to layout toolbar, to work with
       newer Xaw in XFree86 4.x.

     + make active-icon work properly when TrueType fonts are used, as
       well as when UTF-8 mode is used.

     + improve rendering for Xft, allow it to draw non-linedrawing
       characters such as "pi", which were drawn from internal tables
       with patch #180.

     + modify initialization of 256- and 88-colors so that colors beyond
       16 are normally not X resources.  This works around a hard-coded
       limit in Xt which breaks xterm when 256-colors and luit are both
       configured (report by Noah Friedman).

     + fix problem responding to session management events, e.g., which
       would make logging out very slow.

Modified behavior

     + enable utmpx support for NetBSD 1.6C and newer.

     + modify Help() to make "xterm -h" write to standard output rather
       than standard error.

     + improve error-reporting for root user by checking if $DISPLAY is
       set rather than using the useless message from X11 library.

     + improve $WINDOWID for configuration with toolbar by making it
       refer to the top-level shell rather than the parent of the
       current window.  For that case, the parent is a form widget,
       which does not have a name, which made the $WINDOWID not very
       useful as a parameter for xwininfo.

     + improve pattern used in uxterm to check for UTF-8 locale, e.g.,
       for HPUX.

     + modify uxterm script to use locale program to verify if the
       derived locale is installed.

     + add case to uxterm to accommodate locales ending with "@euro",
       e.g., [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     + for Linux, if IUTF8 is defined, e.g., on recent 2.6.x kernels,
       set the corresponding flag for the slave pty, to enable UTF-8
       interpretation of backspace in cooked mode.

     + modify faceSize resource to use a floating-point internal value.

     + modify XTerm.ad to set saveLines default to 1024.

     + change xterm version string to use __vendorversion__ where that
       is available, and "XTerm" otherwise.  Rather than reporting the
       version of X that was current when xterm was modified, it reports
       the version against which it was built.

New resource settings

     + add scoFunctionKeys resource, to match manpage.

     + add -fd option and resource faceNameDoublesize to specify
       double-wide fonts with Xft.

     + add resource showMissingGlyphs to outline places on the screen
       where a font lacks the corresponding glyph.

     + add resource showBlinkAsBold to control whether blinking text
       should be shown as bold or actual blinking text.

     + add utmpDisplayId resource to allow users to control whether the
       display identifier (display number and screen number) are
       retained in the connection information recorded in utmp.

     + add bellOnReset resource to allow users to disable bell which
       sounds on hard reset since patch #183 changes to DECSCL.

New configure script options

     + add --disable-setuid option to configure script.

     + add --disable-full-tgetent option to configure script, allowing
       one to ignore a termcap library in favor of ncurses/curses.

Other new features

     + add mini-luit feature, which supports Latin9 directly rather than
       via luit, provided that Unicode fonts are used.

     + add dynamic abbreviation support like Emacs.

     + add "erase2" and "eol2" keywords to ttyModes resource, for
       recent/current FreeBSD.

Bug-fixes (see http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html for a
more complete list):

     + modify initialization and cleanup of utmp data to also compare
       the ut_line member.

     + correct table entry for DEL in the ground state, which marked it
       as a printable character from patch #171.

     + correct change from patch #157 which uses getlogin() to check for
       an alias; the storage used for the related getpwuid() call was
       overwritten by the data used for comparison.

     + correct case of SCS for character set 0 (line-drawing) to allow
       it to be selected into GR.

     + modify creat_as() to only fork if xterm is actually running as
       setuid and/or setgid.  This works around a Cygwin bug which hangs
       when logging is enabled and makes xterm a little faster for
       systems using interfaces such as utempter.

     + modify Cleanup() to avoid operations such as X calls that might
       use unsafe functions when it is called by a signal handler.

     + check for type of failure in xim_real_init() to avoid looping
       when the problem is an unsupported input method rather than a
       failure to connect to the XIM server.  Problem was introduced in
       patch #175.

     + add missing #undef OPT_SESSION_MGT to xtermcfg.hin to make the
       configure script's --disable-session-mgt option work.

     + correct options parsing for -into option so it can be combined
       with -e.

     + make escape sequence reporting dynamic colors consistent with the
       logic that sets it; choosing the opposite color when reverse
       video is set.

     + fix a repainting bug introduced in patch #180:  when using a font
       lacking line-drawing characters, a repaint of the screen could
       skip horizontally an extra amount after filling in the missing
       character.

     + modify terminfo to accommodate luit, which relies on G1 being
       used via an ISO-2022 escape sequence.  Note that this relies in
       turn on bug fixes in ncurses after the 5.4 release.
--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net