Thanks to everyone who participated at this month's meeting.

The video recording is now posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfvBY8du8OE

Thanks to Serapheim for taking notes:

   -

   Libshare changes (George Wilson)
   -

      George has been doing work revamping the sharenfs property codepaths.
      The reason is performance and consistency between multiple consumers that
      need to look at the state of the system.
      -

      Work mostly combines what exists in FreeBSD while at the same time
      removing a lot of the logic around sharetab. The changes affect
the FreeBSD
      code too where libzfsfsshare is renamed/moved to libshare.
      -

      Preliminary Performance Testing (having ~1000 filesystems and
      multiple threads that share/unshare them) shows up to 99% performance
      improvements, on the scale of going from minutes to seconds.
      -

      During questions:
      -

         (Michael Dexter) Is iSCSI and/or FiberChannel on the radar?
         -

            There is some existing code to handle these subsystems but it
            hasn’t been touched(used?) in a long time. It would be an
interesting
            project if someone is using them and wants to pick up the work.
            -

   Status on Panzura dedup (Josh P)
   -

      Initially thought to be self-contained but was discovered that this
      is not the case.
      -

      Internally within Panzura the effort has been temporarily
      deprioritized.
      -

   Status on dedup-log & DDT limit (Allan)
   -

      Both coming along nicely. DDT is on the last round of feedback.
      -

      REMINDER: For the DDT limit the semantics have changed - it is not an
      explicit memory limit but more of an on-disk one. The memory-limit was
      causing usability problems and its behavior was hard to model.
      -

   Persistent L2ARC merged
   -

      Feature doesn’t require a feature flag.
      -

      There are still a couple of follow-up patches for that change that
      could use reviewers.
      -

      NOTE: The version merged is a slightly modified version of what
      initially had started from Nexenta.
      -

   Dedup’d send/recv removed
   -

      NOTE: This feature has actually nothing to do with Dedup and is a
      specific feature of Send/Recv (zfs send --dedup/-D)
      -

      The feature has been removed from master. From 0.8.4 users should see
      a deprecation notice if they try to use it.
      -

   OpenZFS for OSX common repo
   -

      Since FreeBSD was merged Jorgen is looking into a fresh new port for
      OSX to be merged into the OpenZFS repo. The new port gives us a chance to
      redo somethings that were not optimal in terms of implementation. The
      ability to migrate from old OSX pools to use the new
implementation is not
      a requirement but it would be good to have.
      -

      Once everything is green with existing tests Jorgen will start
      pinging people for feedback, the potential of adding OSX tests in the CI
      pipeline, and to discuss issues found in the common code used by all the
      operating systems.
      -

   Zpool user properties
   -

      Allan hopes to open a PR to upstream this soon.
      -

      Still looking to hear from people who already have use cases for this
      and overall any feedback.
      -

   Changes that need reviewers:
   -

      Introduction of ZSTD compr. to ZFS -
      https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/9735
      -

         Needs to be updated now that persistent L2ARC has been merged.
         There is also some leftover feedback to incorporate.
         -

         Allan is looking for feedback on how to break this change down to
         logical parts so it becomes easier to review, and potentially make it
         smaller.
         -

         There are also a few old ZSTD PRs laying around in the PR list of
         OpenZFS on Github, we should take one last look before closing them to
         ensure we haven’t missed anything.
         -

      Dedup DDT load https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/9464/
      -

         Has been out for a while - we need to solicit the mailing list so
         we:
         -

            [1] Give a heads up that this is coming
            -

            [2] Get any high or low-level feedback
            -

            [3] Ensure that conflicts with other dedup patches that are
            still downstream are minimized.
            -

      Dedup Ceiling https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10169
      -

         Feedback from Matt is almost done and change should be ready to go
         soon.