Thanks to everyone who participated.  The video recording is now available:
https://youtu.be/Y9HQ4RbqIEw

Meeting notes (thanks Serapheim):

   -

   OpenZFS Developer Summit
   <https://openzfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2020> 2020 (Matt)
   -

      Will be virtual due to COVID - dates 29-30th of September
      -

      Registration is open and FREE
      -

      Call for presentations is open
      -

         If you have done interesting work in/with ZFS we’d love to hear
         from you. Let us know by July 20th.
         -

      Talks will be recorded and will be streamed on the day of the
      presentation. Presenters will be in a live-stream at the same time to
      answer questions.
      -

      We’ll try to emulate hallway/water-cooler discussions virtually.
      There will also be a virtual hackathon.
      -

      We’re still looking into the technology to do this. If you have
      suggestions from other conferences please let us know
      -

      There are still sponsorship opportunities - 501c(3) tax-advantaged
      contributions
      -

         Even though the conference will be online doesn’t mean that there
         are no costs
         -

         We are also trying to create different budgets such as paying for
         testing infrastructure or reduced ticket prices to future in-person
         conferences for underrepresented groups.
         -

      An email was recently sent on the mailing list with all the info
      -

   block reference table for file cloning (Pawel)
   -

      File-cloning can be thought of as hard-links with copy-on-write
      properties
      -

      Use-cases include cloning VM images and other large files  or being
      able to recover files from snapshots, fast and without additional space.
      -

      Implementation:
      -

         Dedup comes to mind as the end-functionality is somewhat similar.
         That said we would like this to be a generic feature of ZFS and not a
         feature flag. We’d also like to avoid the performance issues
that come with
         dedup.
         -

         Current idea revolves around a new block-reference table, a
         mapping of vdev_id+offset to a refcount. The attempt would be to avoid
         overhead in reads/writes and just put the overhead in when
freeing blocks
         with more than one reference (to make such operations performant we’d
         probably need to maintain most if not all of our
structures/metadata in
         memory).
         -

         There are a few implementation questions that we’d need to
         iron-out. For example, do we expect this to work across
datasets? If that’s
         the case how would it affect send/receive assuming we want to
maintain the
         cloning-property? What about memory? Can’t that table grow
too big? We’d
         probably need to think hard of how the table is managed and
how to avoid
         unpredictable performance.
         -

   Renaming nextboot feature to bootonce (Alan)
   -

      There is a naming conflict between the nextboot ioctl used by ZFS and
      the nextboot feature specific to the FreeBSD bootloader.
      -

      Proposal: Change nextboot ioctl name to bootonce
      -

   Aliased system properties (Sean)
   -

      PR is out: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10111
      -

      Still looking for reviewers and feedback
      -

   Send toggle -L <https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10383> fix (Matt)
   -

      The original bug is discussed in the PR
      -

         Doing incremental sends where you mix enabling and disabling the
         -L flag can cause a bug that zeroes data.