From: "André van Toly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <developers@lists.mmbase.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Developers] Improving the Developer Community
(ideasandsuggestions)

At 12:16 -0800 16-02-2005, Emile wrote:
>André, is it not possible to devise install options, so that variations can
>be applied by the target developer?  In this instance, builders would be a

That is of course possible, but would be a bit
cumbersome when you try to adapt cloud context
security (ccs) to use your own builders. In the
case of ccs it would be easier to adapt the
builders to reflect your own needs, like by
introducing more fields in the builder mmbaseuser.

Or do you mean that in the ccs application all
references to builders and fields in builders
need to be generic? And that you map these
builders and fields with some configuration file?

I, for example asked the designers of the chat
application JIRC to make the user builder generic
and the mapping to the right builder and the two
fields JIRC uses from it, is described in a
configuration file. But JIRC also uses the
builders server and channel and i believe that
these are really needed by the application (it's
a chat so it needs a server and channels :-) and
there is no need to make these generic or
configurable, they are 'part' of the application.

>suitable way of introducing options.  Downloading extensions to mmbase
>seperately is prohibitive in the mind of a new developer.  It also means
>that "mmbase" is the sum of all of it's parts, not just a core with added
>options.  It also means that testing mmbase would include all of the
>applications installed as well.

Not necessarily so.

---André
--