On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:22, Ernst Bunders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Michiel Meeuwissen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 08:48, Ernst Bunders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> What works then? I would like to have tld's that have information
>>> about all the properties and so on. What does a tld do that only
>>> mentions the tag files. Is that required for putting them in the jar?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> That is exactly what my tool is doing. parse the files and create a
>>> model containing all relevant information. this model can than be
>>> dumped to xml, and transformed as you wish.
>>> I have been looking for a tool like this, but did not find it. I
>>> actually started building it as a programming exercise. But I think it
>>> can be quite useful.
>>>

>> I of course think even a tag file should of course be xml already :-)
>

> yeah, well...
>>

>>> OK. So that leaves to decide if we expand the mmbase-module format to
>>> include tag files, or put the tag files in the jar. My preference goes
>>> to the first option. What do you think?
>>
>> I have no objections against expanding the mmbase-module format, if it
>> does not already support this. Though I still think that tag-files
>> implementing something for the general profit can better be
>> distributed in the jar, because that simply is easiest to install and
>> keep coherent. Installing them in WEB-INF/tags is mainly convenient
>> for the maintainer of the library, but she can put them there manually
>> anyway. Not having them there will also discourage people hacking in
>> them, without proper anticipation. But those are just my 2 cents.
>
> Well, I totally agree with you, but I don't see how it is possible to
> do development on them if after each little change you have to
> redeploy a jar. I just don't see it. If you have some answer to that,
> I'd go along gladly.

Well, I normally test a tag-file from a JSP (or another tagfile), so I
make a symlink or so from the tag-files to in  WEB-INF/tags, then
(temporary) change the uri of the tag-library prefix in the JSP  and
I'm ready to develop. I sometimes end up with two uri's, one prefixed
<my-prefix> and the other <my-prefix>-t or so. And every tag I want to
do some development on, I don't use <my-prefix>: but <my-prefix>-t:.
If everything's working I (should) remove the test-uris.

Als placing the tags in /META-INF which one could hope to work doesn't seem to.

I'll gladly admin that's not ideal, but on the other hand it is not
such a big deal either, it adds mere seconds to the development time
of such tag, which would probably be measured in days....

Michiel

--
mihxil'  http://meeuw.org
nl_NL eo_XX en_US