I am trying to create a salesorder through aif, with no value in the
field salesline.itemnumber. I just have the external item number in
the file.
When configuring endpoints there is a form for value mapping, and
behind the item tab I set the document value to External item number.
I thought that the system would look up the item number which is set
up at the specific customer.

customer relation 1 to item xxx is yyy.
yyy is the external item number in the file.
A salesorder is created with customer account 1.
Document value External item number is set under the endpoint's value
mapping.
The intention was that a sales line with the item number xxx should be
created.
But it will not.