On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 18:40:10 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 18.13.07, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > With the function-pointer-based QObject::connect syntax, it is currently
> > not possible to connect to the private signals on QAbstractItemModel
> > (rowsInserted() etc), QAbstractState (entered() and exited()) and
> > QAbstractTransition (triggered()).
> >
> > Patches for fixing that are here:
> >
> > * https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,30372
> > * https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,30337
> > * https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,30434
> >
> > Without them, it will not be possible throughout Qt 5.x releases to
> > connect to those signals with the function pointer syntax.
> >
> > Reviewing has dried up after addressing some trivial stuff on the first
> > patch, so I'm asking for new reviewers so we can get them into the repo
> > and fix the function pointer based connects.
>
> I don't see the point of a private signal.
>
> QAbstractitemModel is abusing it. Just make them regular signals.

I'm opposed to making those public because users will use

 emit rowsInserted(...);

in subclasses of QAIM, which might happen to appear to work the first time,
and therefore will breaking things silently.

I'm sure the situation is similar for users emitting entered() or exited() in
QAbstractState subclasses.

So, either the code should stay as is - leaving the signals private and making
function pointer connects not work, or the patches should be applied, making
function pointer connects work.

Making the signals public is not an option for me.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.ke...@kdab.com> | Software Engineer