Hi everybody,

apart from having fantastic Qt Developer Days in Berlin, we finally managed to
get the beta2 out last week. Many thanks to all of the people that helped make
it happen.

The beta2 is a very good milestone towards Qt 5. We now have packages that
include the full content of what we agreed to ship, including Qt Creator. Also
our bug numbers are looking ok, with ~50 P0 and P1 bugs left for 5.0.

There are however also a few things left. To be able to now move quickly
towards the release candidate and the final release, we need to be from now on
very careful in what we stage.

First of all I'd like to have a pretty hard API freeze from now on. Anything
that breaks source or binary compatibility, please add me as a reviewer. If
there's not a good reason to get them in now, I'll push all such changes to 5.1.

Packaging has been one of the biggest challenges towards getting all our
previous releases (Alpha, B1 and B2) out. The main reasons were that the
sources changed underneath the packages, requiring adjustments as we went
forward, combined with a very long turn around time for package creation.

The package creation time is currently being addressed, and hopefully we'll
soon be able to get that time down to around 2-3 hours (from 7-8 currently). In
addition, I'd like to ask anybody to be careful with changes that might affect
packaging, and to add me and Iikka as reviewers for changes where you suspect
that packaging might be impacted

With regards to bug fixing, let's focus on P0 and P1 bugs, and close as many of
them as possible. But let's simply be realistic. Qt 5.0 will have known bugs.
But pushing the release back would not change this, as people will always find
new ones. It is now more important to get Qt 5.0 out to create a stable basis
for all of us to work upon.

Apart from bug fixing, there are three more items remaining that I'd like to
address for the RC:

* WebKit library split (WebKit + WebKitWidgets)

This is a binary incompatible change, that has to go in for 5.0. Most of the
QtWebKit team is working on this, and I have good confidence that the change
will be and done in some time next week.

* Documentation

While the class level docs are generally speaking pretty ok, we have so far not
done enough on the high level documentation structure and overviews.

There was/is a large effort ongoing to restructure and modularise our docs in
the newdocs branch(es) in gerrit. Merging that branch has been delayed to after
beta 2, but things are starting to look ok there. I believe that we need to
have this branch merged in to make sure we have up to date docs for Qt 5, as
the old docs still look very much like 4.x. That merge will most likely happen
tomorrow or on Wednesday, once we have fixed the infrastructure to generate
decent looking web pages out of them.

However, there is still significant work still to write many overview
documents. The team in Oslo will in the next days do an extra effort to create
these overviews. When reviewing the first set of patches, please do mainly
review the content, not the form or language. We'll do a second iteration over
the docs once they are in to fixup any potential style/language issues.

We'll post some more info on this tomorrow, and I'd like to invite everybody to
have a look at http://community.kde.org/Qt5/Documentation if you want to help.

* Examples and polishing

We currently have way too many examples to be really useful, and many of them
are not very polished. We will be doing an extra effort to polish these and
define a good set of examples that should be accessible from our docs and
Creator.

In addition, we'll need to do regular package testing and check our snapshots
from the point of view of our users, to make sure Qt 5.0 has a great out of the
box experience.

All of this work will need to happen in the next two weeks, as we're aiming at
having everything ready to start testing RC packages by Nov 30th. It's a pretty
tight timeline, but if we all work together, I believe we can make it happen.

Cheers,
Lars