On quinta-feira, 21 de março de 2013 16.12.51, Qi Liang wrote:
> > When there's a conflict the merger does not know how to resolve, the
> > merger
> > asks for help. Choosing unconditionally one side is a bad idea.
>
> I don't think the merger has enough time to do that. And under open
> governance & gerrit, there is a risk for merge, maybe some incoming commits
> will break the merge.

The merger must do that. Always ask for help. If no help comes in reasonable
time, then and only then should the merger make a decision based on available
information. And then post to the mailing list.

> > It's not the first dev-stable merge. The direction does not matter. This
> > merge is no different than the previous ones.
>
> Had we done any merge from Qt 4.x to 4.x-1 or similar before? Before, we
> think stable as 5.0 and dev as 5.1, then we prefer bug fixes in stable,
> features in dev.

We've always done merges between versions N and N+1. If you declare M = N + 1,
then we did merges between M - 1 and M. Any way you do this, we've done this
before.

The direction does not matter.

> But now, I don't think stable and dev are much different in current release
> cycle, just a time difference, all changes in dev will be in stable after
> this "BIG" merge procedure, just means the users of stable branch will get
> the fixes in a short time or a few months later.

The only difference this time is that we updated the stable (previous version)
branch. That's *really* the only difference. Everything else is the same as it
has always been ever since we introduced Git usage for Qt, back in 2008.

(I'm sure there was a blog, with a picture of Lars and Simon talking to the
sysadmins, turning the Git repository live for the first time, but I can't find
it)