On 5 Nov 2013, at 5:47 PM, Jake Petroules wrote:

> I do. Qt is by nature a cross platform framework, limiting support for ICNS
> files only to OS X doesn't really make sense.
>
> What if you want to create a cross platform icon editor or some other app
> that deals with image files? Or reuse your OS X icon(s) on Windows and other
> platforms, saving time and space not having to create multiple versions of
> everything? If you don't want to build the ICNS plugin, simply disable it
> when you configure qtimageformats. It's a common and well known format and it
> should be supported on all platforms Qt supports, just as ICO is supported on
> OS X, Linux and others.
>
> I could understand refusing to include it in QtCore, but we're talking about
> QtImageFormats here, the perfect place where something like this belongs.
> --
> Jake Petroules
> Chief Technology Officer
> Petroules Corporation · www.petroules.com
> Email: jake.petrou...@petroules.com
>
> On Nov 5, 2013, at 11:37 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macie...@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On terça-feira, 5 de novembro de 2013 08:57:12, Saether Jan-Arve wrote:
>>> Is there any big benefits in having ICNS support on other platforms than
>>> OSX?
>>
>> I don't think anyone wants ICNS outside OS X. But JPEG2000 might be useful.

ICNS could maybe be a useful cross-platform icon format as long as it doesn't
have encumbrances.  I assume not, since http://icns.sourceforge.net/ is LGPL.
(Wikipedia says there are some JPEG2000 patents, but the committee has set up
agreements so that it can be royalty-free in practice).  It would be a neater
alternative to the current naming convention on Linux (find /usr/share/icons
-type d, each theme has a subdirectory and each resolution has a directory
under that).  Of course ubiquity would depend on at least one of the major
desktops to adopt the practice; but even if not, it would still be nice to have
one icon file per app as the icon's "source" and generate the others.