On miércoles, 7 de diciembre de 2016 08:02:20 ART Thiago Macieira wrote:
[snip]
> But the extra versioning is a further safety check: if something was missed
> in the update, like for example some code compiled by the user (regardless
> of use of package management), it will necessarily stop working.

I not sure of the usefullnes in this case. If I remember correctly the linker
will try first to locate the symbol with the right version and if it fails the
first symbol that matches no matter it's version.

I remember that when the symbols' version was added to Qt we did not have to
rebuild anything: things just worked out without issues. And we where dealing
with public symbols here.

I never the less give it a try and compiled Qt 5.7.1 (latest snapshot) with
the patch that changes QPA symbols' version to private ones. I've got
segfaults while running Plasma, but no linking problems that I could see.

Granted, I don't know why the crashes happened but I didn't directly see any
effect of changing QPA's symbols's versions, so I don't know if code compiled
by the user will necesarily stop working.

Am I missing something here?

--
If little green men land in your back yard, hide any little green women
you've got in the house.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/