Looks like this discussion got stuck before reaching a conclusion ...

Actually looking through the commit logs e.g. in qtbase, I do think most
[ChangeLog] entries are rather fine - surely some tweaking is sometimes
necessary, but the quality of the ChangeLog entries we have is not all that bad.

What is obvious though is that a lot of commits where I would have expected a
[ChangeLog] do not have one. What's more, a well written [ChangeLog] entry will
help also during the review, and can serve as a sanity check when it comes to
the right branch being targeted etc.

I therefore agree with Janne that we should encourage people to write them, and
changing the default template is a very easy thing to do.

> > And in addition to this update sanity bot so that it will give '-1' if
> > change log entry isn't given in release branch.
> >
> this is probably not sensible. most last-minute fixes relate to recently
> introduced problems, which means that they specifically *don't* need
> changelog entries.

That might be the case until the first .0 release from the branch is done, but
surely not afterwards.

Proposal: Check for [ChangeLog] entries in a 5.x branch _after 5.x.0 branched_.
Is that easy to enable/disable?

> here's what i think would actually make a difference (based on historical
> evidence within trolltech):
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTQAINFRA-933

Such a tool/infrastructure would be cool to have, indeed. It requires a lot
more investment though than the incremental changes Jani proposed.

I therefore suggest to implement Jani's suggestions for the time being. If we
find out they're not effective, we can always come back and look into
alternative processes.

1. Enable [ChangeLog] tag in commit template

https://codereview.qt-project.org/183244

2. Add check in sanity bot to check for missing ChangeLog entries (potentially
only in 5.x branches after 5.x.0 is out)

(who could do this?)

Regards

Kai