Thiago Macieira wrote:
> You can compare the checksum of the uncompressed tarball.

But this is not how the Fedora workflow works. And please also note that I
did not make the policies, I am just trying to explain why they are the way
they are. And I suspect that there are several other distributions that work
similarly.

> Two people running git archive on the same commit or tag will produce the
> same uncompressed stream (including GitHub), but not necessarily the same
> compressed stream.

It was found that in practice, requesting the same tag from GitHub multiple
times gives byte-identical tar.gz output. (Unfortunately, GitHub cannot
deliver better compressions.) Of course this might break if they upgrade
their gzip, but nothing is perfect.

        Kevin Kofler