compromises for black and white glyphs), yet so many people complained about blurry fonts that Microsoft lowered the gamma correction in IE to make the fonts look blacker.

Which confirms my claim that most users will give higher priority to on-screen legibility than to design veracity. Very understandably so.

Alternative explanation: people complain when something they know
changes. Nobody could stand to use Macs if bitmap fonts were the
pinnacle of on-screen legibility.

IIRC Microsoft played into that themselves when they promoted Times New Roman to the de-facto standard variable-width font.

Yep :)

I'm guessing you can find almost any number of combinations of fonts that bite when displayed next to each other.

True if you use bytecode hinting. Now use hintslight/the autohinter for
everything. Suddenly everything harmonizes much better because the same
hinting strategy is applied consistently to everything. This is the
reason I pushed for hintslight as the default in GNOME and FontConfig after Ubuntu used it for years.

I'm also pretty certain that people like "Bohomil" who spend/t hours tweaking fontconfig files do so in part to reduce such differences.

You can't fix fonts having different hinting strategies, unless you
rewrite the hinting.

Should be easy to find out. Filename ends with ".otf", you're most
 likely looking at a CFF font (see e.g. Cantarell).

I have lots of OpenType fonts that probably just contain TrueType inside.

Find out in FontForge, or if you have fonttools installed, look for
"CFF" in `ttx -l font.otf`.

And I think it is asking for users to complain about different looking fonts on their platform.

Seriously? Anyone complaining about something they asked for is begging not to be taken seriously.

Lemme reword that: users of apps whose developers switched font engines.

I'm curious to see if I'll develop a preference.

Maybe you find that you prefer what you're used to :)