> On Jun 28, 2019, at 10:56, Palaraja, Kavindra <kpalar...@luxoft.com> wrote:
>
> On 28.06.19, 10:24, "Eike Ziller" <eike.zil...@qt.io> wrote:
>
>> On 27. Jun 2019, at 15:46, Palaraja, Kavindra <kpalar...@luxoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 27.06.19, 10:47, "Development on behalf of Jaroslaw Kobus"
>> <development-boun...@qt-project.org on behalf of jaroslaw.ko...@qt.io> wrote:
>>
>> QTextBrowser promises to render rich text - isn’t it what we want for
>> showing help? If QTextBrowser isn’t able to render properly the static help
>> files - what is the other typical usage of it? Why we claim that
>> QTextBrowser is able to do things, which in fact it can't? This doesn't show
>> a fair message to the user, if we - for our purposes - don't use tools which
>> we should.
>>
>> OK, if we can't use QTextBrowser, then what are our other options?

>    Again, I’m not in principle against the above functionality,
>    but I don’t want us to pay the price that is imposed by a full-blown
> QtWebEngine. If we cannot severely strip that down, that price is much higher
> than necessary for HTML+CSS, and even for HTML+CSS+JavaScript.
>

> To clarify, you are not against better functionality in how Creator displays
> documentation. But:
>
> * It can't be QTextBrowser, because it's not a full-blown HTML viewer from
> what I've seen in https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-33336

> * It can't be QtWebEngine, because both you and Andre aren't willing to pay
> the price

I see some other critical voices in this email thread as well.

> From your response, I'm only gathering two options:

There are other options.
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2019-June/036712.html
summarizes many of them.
Additionally “strip down QtWebEngine or QtWebKit and support that”.
Or, separating "plain and simple API documentation" to be displayed directly an
Qt Creator/Assistant from “fancy tutorials” to be displayed by a browser of the
user’s choice.

> 1. Live with it and hope that somehow this will solve itself in the future --
> there is no evidence from the past years that this is going to happen. Recall
> that the ticket we are still debating over is from March 2016.

> 2. Give QtWebEngine at least a try, let the users decide in a BETA phase.

- a tiny percentage of users use Betas
- there already is quite some controversy in this email thread

Br, Eike

> Kavindra.
>

> ________________________________
>
> This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended only for the recipient(s)
> named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive them.
> They may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please do not read this email or its attachment(s). Furthermore,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
> this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
> replying to this e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment(s) or
> copies thereof from your system. Thank you.

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin
eike.zil...@qt.io
http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi,
Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B