Il 04/12/19 12:56, Volker Hilsheimer ha scritto:
IIRC, then I added that in the early Qt 2 days, anticipating that with
Qt/Embedded we might see our widgets landing on touch screens “any moment now”.
The idea was to have a global setting that ensured that widgets and other
interactables (such as menu items, list items, checkbox markers etc) are at
least x,y pixels large.

Well, the world has moved on, and the value has never been consistely used in
styles or widgets anyway.

Ignoring for a moment the rest of the discussion: does such a value _make sense_ in the first place?

Qt-provided styles always tried to follow the OS native style, even in the sizing of the controls. Arbitrarily resizing controls has always been possible, but generally doing that either violates the guidelines of the native style (e.g. making a push button 100px high) or breaks the widget altogether (making a push button 5px high).

In this light, what's the idea of a global minimum size useful for? A native style should rightfully completely ignore it. A non-native style could have it a as a tunable parameter, but then, actually, it could have _any_ amount of tunable parameters (e.g. have a minimum size for buttons, a minimum size for labels, etc.).

Does anyone have more insights?

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer