Hi,

"Putting that aside, how long should we wait then? " is exactly the question we
would like to find the answer to __

My own preference is to make the switch to CMake as soon as possible and use
effort to improving the CMake port instead of keeping the qmake as a parallel
build system for Qt itself. Having the mixing support as an option is
beneficial, and something we wanted to offer to the extent feasible without
risking the overall Qt 6.0 development.

We are currently at a point where all the most commonly used modules are built
with CMake. There is a bit less than 3 months to Qt 6.0 feature freeze and
around 8 months to Qt 6.1 feature freeze. This should be adequate time to make
the changes in all the relevant modules.

The goal is for all the Qt 6.0 modules are in place at the Structure and
platform freeze milestone (end of June, https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_6.0_Release).
This allows us to have things ready well before the feature freeze - and avoid
situations where some larger changes are done close to the FF deadline,
potentially causing instability. We should not accept any modules that are
still built with qmake to the Qt 6.0 release content.

So, let's continue the discussion and aim to reach the conclusion in the next
few days for the best path forward related to the topic.

Yours,

        Tuukka

On 9.6.2020, 11.45, "Development on behalf of Alexandru Croitor"