On 2/26/21 2:23 PM, Kai Köhne wrote:

With https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/336652 a copy is made
if a hard-link cannot be created.

Right, but that is at configure time, this doesn’t help with the online
installer.

To be pedantic, it's at cmake --install time. :-)

If we go down this route, we should arguably check in the online installer
whether the target folder is on an NTFS partition, and back out if not. One
more complication ... :/

Well my optimistic theory is:
- CI builds + installs the Qt module (for example qtbase) in a packaging config. - CI creates a 7z archive and either 7za is clever and detects the hard link or just archives the binary twice. - The installer extracts the archive on the user's machine. Either the archived hard links can be extracted or copies are made.

Cheers,

Joerg