Hi Andy,

On 22.10.23 20:57, Andy Nichols wrote:
I suppose I was the one who previously stated I wanted to rearchitect QtGamepad before making it part of Qt 6.  The main issue was that it was very focused on gamepads (like the XBox Controller) and did not easily map to other exotic input devices.  I wanted to redesign it to where the Gamepad API sat on top of a more generic exotic input mechanism so that we could fulfill that need of using other types of controllers like Joysticks, steering wheels, flight yokes etc. Some effort was made this year in that regard as a combined effort from me, Kristoffer Skau, and especially Johan Solbakken.  The result of that prototype can be found here: codereview.qt-project.org <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>
        favicon.ico <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>

<https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>
This patch provides an expanded vision for exotic input devices while also providing a mostly compatible API for QtGamepad built on top.  Some more refinement is needed but that is the progress we have so far.

Cool, thanks! Good to know that it's not dead yet :-)

Ideally if QtGamepad is reintroduced in Qt6 it would be with some flavor of these changes rather than just being a strait port form Qt 5.

Agreed. Maybe I'll just push my port to github then, renamed as qtgamepad-legacy or so.

Hopefully that gives some insights into the current state of QtGamepad.  If you or anyone else is interested in participating in QtGamepads development please get in touch with us.  It’s not exactly a business critical project so for us it’s a passion project so it can be good place to get involved if it’s something you care about as well.

I'd love to help out, but I've not really got a lot of spare time at the moment :( I probably won't get around to writing actual code. But you can CC me for code review, if you'd like :-)

-- Arno