I'm ok with 1-3, I'm not ok with 4.

The state of the art is what the std prescribes, not what a stdlib
implementation does. stdlibs are magic; they can theoretically remove
the noexcept for new code and keep it for old. Or they can let contract
violations pass magically. We can't, at least not with a lot of manual
labour (QT_REMOVED_SINCE/QT6_NEW_OVERLOAD).

If we get (1), I think we'll very quickly also get a build mode in which
these throw.

And I'm also questioning the alternatives to throwing from assertions
(or Q_PRE, if you want). You can fork, yes. Very complicated, and
probably slow as hell (I still remember Qt 5 QSharedPointer negative
tests were even slow on Linux). We can't call a QtTest-handler, because
that handler cannot return without an exception, because the code
following the assertion typically assumes that the assertion holds and
runs into Language UB (non-recoverable) as a consequence if it didn't.

Finally, one thing that Lakos wrote in his paper
(https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2023/p2861r0.pdf)
was that it should be up to *the owner of main()* to determine how
precondition violations are handled. Neither std nor Qt should decide
for the user here.

I think this is very pertinent to the current software security
legislation being proposed on both sides and Qt should not shut the door
in front of users that would like to run checked build modes in production.

Therefore: no noexcept on narrow-contract functions is still paramount,
IMNSHO.

Again, a hunch is not enough to sway me here. A meaningful increase in
runtime speed would need to be demonstrated, and even then, we would
need to weigh that feature against the desire for certain customers (one
being ourselves, for negative testing) to use a checked build mode in
production.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc.m...@qt.io> (he/his)
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B