I am having constant modem trouble at two sites using a dial up connection.

It seems that the modems get hung up and will no longer dial out.

Simply powering the modem off and then on restores the functionality. No
server interaction required.

The one site is using the latest 3COM / US Robotics Sportster 56K v90 ext
and the second a Compaq 56k modem ext.

A third site had the same problem, initially so I sent the USR modem back to
the suppliers for testing and installed
an old Microcom 28.8K external as a loan unit. This old modem works like a
charm and never gets hung up.

I have tried altering the dialup chat string to send a factory reset each
time before dialling, but this has not improved the situation.

The USR modems get stuck several times in a day, whilst the Compaq modem
does this about twice a week.

I suspect that it could it be specific to the chipset that these modems are
using, that is not happy with the strings that diald is
sending. Any ideas ?

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Sasha Malic