----- Original Message -----
From: Lionel Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Why multiple httpd (11 ea) & httpd-admin (4
ea)?

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:48:53 +1030, "Max" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >While we have your attention... can someone kindly
> >point us at some very specific HowTo info for making
> >PuTty work as a SSH-client to the same e-smith 4.1.1
> >box, thanks
>
> (1) Download Putty to the client machine.
> (2) Run it. Give it an 'okay' for any questions it asks.
> (3) Type 192.168.1.1 (or whatever IP you've assigned to your server) in
> the 'host' field.
> (4) Click on the 'SSH' radio button under the 'host' field.
> (5) Click on the 'Use' button.
> (6) Give it the okay when it asks you if it's okay to use the server's
> key, that it's never seen before.
> (7) Login as whatever account that you've enabled SSH access for (via
> the E-Smith Manager web page).
> (8) Do shell stuff. ;)

Thanks... that worked OK... now comes the clincher:

If I never have to give it any authentication info...
where is the security?  I.e. why shouldn't anybodyu
else who can workout a password for the user's acc't
do just what I'm doing?

Since PuTty has places to enter Authentication Key(s),
why isn't it required that we do, i.e. -before- we can
gain access to am e-smith shell?

What are we missing here...  ;-)

TIA