> One thing though: I was able to retrieve the time from my
e-smith server
> via the Internet!! NTP is enabled on the external
interface. Is this the
> way it's ment to be?

I would say, yes, it is intentional, at least from an NTP
design standpoint.  First, I am not sure I see any major
risk with it being exposed.  I guess worst case people are
syncing off your server, but there are so many public
servers available that is unlikely (and it is only a minor
annoyance).  I don't know of any NTP specific exploits.

Second, is the way NTP is designed to work, though clearly a
typical e-smith server would not take advantage of it, is to
setup a server and peer "subnet" to maintain accurate time
with redundant paths despite network and/or server outages.
I won't go into the details, but suffice to say that peers
need to communicate with each other if you want 5 9's type
reliability.  For any of my servers it would take a very
serious outage on many different links for a complete loss
of syncronization (they may back down one stratum notch if a
minor outage occurs).  Bottom line, it is incredibly robust
and reliable, which is why so many people can trust it.  See
the xntp doc for more info on NTP subnets if you find it
interesting.

Anyway, not sure I see a downside, and for at least my
purposes, I am glad it isn't.  If someone brings up a good
reason why it should be blocked, I probably would not argue,
as I doubt many (perhaps any) e-snith users other than me
are actually taking advantage of NTP to it's fullest.  I am
pretty sure the way the ntp.conf is configured (with the
keys disabled) that all the remote configuration features
are disabled, but I will take the time to play with that to
be sure.

JP