On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 06:07:07AM -0500, Gordon Rowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 06:49:52PM +0800, Craig Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sorry, that should be "listening on 192.168.1.1 *AND* the ISP's forwarder,
> > thus allowing for domainname.xxx to be referred to bind 8.2.3 (127.0.0.1)
> > and all external to be forwarded to our ISP's round-robin DNS system.
> > [...]
>
> I take it you mean setting DNSPrimaryIP to the ISP's DNS so that named
> will forward to them if it can't resolve locally?
>
> Sounds like a good test setup. I'll certainly be interested in the results.
> [...]

I would also be interested in you running the same test without configuring
a forwarder - it is not required, provides at best marginal performance
improvements and may well reduce reliability (depending on the competence
of the ISP and whether the correct machines are chosen as forwarders).

Sadly, not all ISPs are good at DNS. Those that are tend to run non-recursive
authoritative nameservers, which are very much the wrong machines to use
as forwarders. However, people choose them all the time.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)