On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:35:55AM +0100, Stanislaw Winiecki
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> I am not a fan of BIND either, my e-smith 4.0 box, where I had to set up a
> public DNS server experienced a break-in two days ago :-(. All the tracks
> lead to BIND having been exploited... I'm still a Linux novice, but I'm
> pretty certain of that one...

That doesn't sound at all good. People keep asking why we don't ship with a
"full DNS server". Maybe you could tell them why... :-(

Just to make it clear for everyone on the list, e-smith's DNS server in
4.0 is configured to only cache DNS queries and respond to requests from
the _local_ network. This protects against this sort of break-in. 4.1
is even more heavily protected, guarding against attacks from the local
network.

> Now I was _forced_ to upgrade to 4.1.1, which I did yesterday (actually not
> an upgrade but a fresh install) and now I'm one happy admin :)

Great. 4.1 also runs BIND in a chroot() jail. If you are thinking about
running a "real" DNS server, I suggest you do the same. A fresh install is
definitely the thing to do in this case.

> [...]
> Now that I've observed the motivational value of a failure (motivational fot
> the management, that is) I'm starting to understand better the BOFH-type
> attitude... ;-))))

Yep. And why we have resisted various "features" in e-smith :-)

> While I'm at it - another GREAT JOB, guys! :)

Thank you.

> I love the webmail feature, my users won't complain of not having access to
> sending mail from home anymore :) And when I first started the webmail page,
> IMP appeared in Polish before my amazed eyes :)

That's what we like to hear.

> I hope to be more helpful to the developers in the future. For now I can
> basically offer a translation of the manual into Polish, for example.
> Charlie once told me to hold that because of plans to release 4.1. Now it's
> out, so maybe we can come back to the idea?
> Or should we wait for a more internationalized version of e-smith?...

Skud is driving I18N and L10N - I'm sure she'll respond on the best way to
proceed.

> All the best for everyone at e-smith inc. in the XXI century :)

Thanks,

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)