<snip>

> And as Charlie said, we do not intend to dictate which backup software
> people choose - the requirements are site-dependant. We want to
> provide a simple, reliable nightly full backup for 4.1 and flexbackup
> does that well.

>From way back in my SCO days... I used to use C-TAR, which is now
BackupEDGE. Never had a lick of trouble with it, and the ability to boot a
recovery disk, then restore the last master and incremental tapes was GREAT.
I could restore a full system, including device files, symlinks, et al, will
literally just a few keystrokes and an hour or two waiting for tapes to
load. The biggest disadvantage was the restoration of files from the master
that might have been deleted (ie, not reflected in the incremental.) I've
been told, but have not witnessed, that this has been remedied in later
versions through a tracking catalog.

Is the flexbackup a true full backup (ie, the entire drive) or just a backup
of the e-smith areas? If the former, then for restoration I'd like to
suggest the concept of a boot disk or disks (already parially there with the
reinstall disk) that have the flexbackup software, combined with a master
(full) backup tape and nightly incremental (ie, changes only) tape. This
makes the nightlies much faster and complicates the restore very little.
Assuming, of course, this is possible with flexbackup.

J. Scott Smith
The Reynolds and Reynolds Company