/sbin/e-smith/signal-event remoteaccess-update

        Did that.  No effect.

and if this doesn't work have a look at your:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/masq

for lines like these below numbered from ppp0 to the number
of 'Number of PPTP clients' you set via e-smith manager:

/sbin/ipchains --append input  -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains --append output -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains --append input  -i ppp1 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains --append output -i ppp1 -j ACCEPT

        They were all there.  As a drastic measure I could re-install the
system, but I am not looking forward to that.

Eric