On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 10:26:36PM -0500, "Daniel C. Slagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> O.K. No problem but let us think about something for the future:

Naturally - we just had to stop the feature list for 4.1 to get it finished :-)

We would like to have PPTP masquerade included, but the kernel module
doesn't work, and we did not have sufficient time to debug it at this stage.

> Basically we are trusting the users to have their machines secure.

The most frequent request we have for VPN support is to allow people to access
everything remotely - i.e. typically over dial-up. PPTP provides this.

> If not
> the hackers are already VPN'd into the server.  Now if they have high speed
> access to the internet, have done the right thing and set up some type of
> firewall, they are not supported.  Most people I know run that cute little
> Linksys hub/firewall/DHCP thing.

I don't know if the Linksys has PPTP masquerade support. Does anyone know if
it does?

> To add to that they are not supported even if they happen to run an e-smith
> server at their house. :)

Yes, we plan to provide PPTP masquerade, just not in 4.1

> Hopefully the RPM Jeb is working on for FreeSwan will fix that.

Trust me, we are _well_ aware of the need for site-to-site VPNs, but they
are an order of magnitude more complex than roaming VPNs. We are also
very interested in Jeb's work.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)