----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "maverick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Turning monitor blanking off...

> I've got it working as follows:
>
> mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab
> echo "bl:7:once:/usr/bin/setterm -blank 0" \
>     > /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab/90noblank
> /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/inittab
> /sbin/telinit -q

I copied/pasted the above options and received the following results:

[root@e-smith /root]# mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab
[root@e-smith /root]# echo "bl:7:once:/usr/bin/setterm -blank 0" \
> /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab/90noblank
bl:7:once:/usr/bin/setterm -blank 0
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab/90noblank
[root@e-smith /root]# /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/inittab
[root@e-smith /root]# /sbin/telinit -q
/sbin/telinit: invalid option -- q
Usage: telinit 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu

I removed the '-' and manually ran:
[root@e-smith /root]# /sbin/telinit q

...and that was it.

Now, my question is - Was it supposed to create a file somewhere called
"90noblank"?  I don't have a complete understanding of the
template-expansion system as of yet, since this is the first time I'm
actually played with it.  If it was supposed to create that file somewhere,
it didn't.  The /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/inittab directory is just
an empty directory.

I'm going to try a reboot....

Okay.  I've rebooted the machine and, believe it or not, the monitor still
goes blank after about 10 minutes.

I'm almost to the point of giving up now.  :/

Thanks,
 Matt